Before You Begin
Gusset heels can be worked from either the top down or from the toe up. When they're worked from the toe up, they are often known as a Fleegle heel.
First, the gusset is shaped by increasing one stitch on each side of the heel, every other round. Then the heel is turned by working in short rows, creating a triangular section at the back of the heel.
- Oink Pgments Oink Sock Yarn
- addi Turbo Rockets
Gusset Heel for Toe Up Socks
Ready to try this technique in a pattern? The Free Climber Socks Pattern has videos to help you learn more about:
- Judy's Magic Cast On for Short Row Toes
- Wrap and Turn Short Rows for Toe-Up Socks
- Changing Yarn Colors with the Russian Join
- Right and Left Slanting Median Increases
- Gusset (or Fleegle) Heels from the Toe Up
- Interlock Bind Off in the Round for 1 x 1 Ribbing