Before You Begin
There's no absolute answer, but there are a few guidelines that can help you make the decision.
- Follow the directions and do what the pattern says.
If a pattern doesn't specify which way to slip a stitch:
- Slip purlwise if a stitch is just being skipped.
- Slip knitwise if the stitch is part of a decrease.
- Cobasi by HiKoo Yarn
- addi Rocket Squared needles
Which Way to Slip a Stitch
Ready to try this technique in a pattern? The 1 Sock, 2 Sock, Red Sock, Blue Sock Pattern has videos to help you learn more about:
- Longtail Thumb Cast On
- Which Way to Slip a Stitch (Knitwise or Purlwise)
- Alternating Two Round Stripes
- Afterthought Heels Made Easier and Neater
- Purl Side Kitchener Stitch