Make 1s are commonly used to increase stitches in knitting and are generally defined as:
- Make 1 Right (m1r) - make one stitch by lifting the strand between the needles with the left needle tip (back to front) and knit the lifted loop through the front.
- Make 1 Left (m1l) - make one stitch by lifting the strand between the needles with the left needle tip (front to back) and knit the lifted loop through the back.
There are two simple mnemonics to help you remember where the left needle goes under the horizontal strand. For the m1r remember "I'll be RIGHT BACK". For the m1l remember "I LEFT the FRONT door open.
Pattern, Yarn, Needles and Notions
- Ready, Set, Go Socks (Toe-Up) pattern by The Chilly Dog
- Zitron Trekking Sport yarn
- addi Rocket2 [Squared] knitting needles
Thanks to Skacel for providing the yarn and addi needles used in this tutorial. These products are available locally at many yarn shops and online at Makers' Mercantile.