Before You BeginGusset heels can be worked from either the top down or from the toe up. When they're worked from the top down, they are often known as a Strong heel.
First, the gusset is shaped by increasing one stitch on each side of the heel, every other round. Then the heel is turned by working in short rows, creating a trapezoidal section at the bottom of the heel.
- Zitron Trekking XXL yarn
- addi Rocket Squared
- Clover Quick Locking Stitch Markers
Top Down Gusset Heels
Ready to try this technique in a pattern? The Sundog Socks Pattern has videos to help you learn more about:
- 4 Tips for Knitting Socks with Self-Striping Yarn
- Casting on Two at a Time Socks (Top Down)
- Knitting Two at a Time Socks on One Circular Needle or Two
- Triple Knot
- Top Down Gusset Heel, or Strong Heel
- Flower Toe